Saturday, January 4, 2014

ToFish & Chips

I have featured many different nationalities of food on this blog. You have seen Greek, Chinese, Italian, and even Mexican, but there is one country that this blog has never been too, until now. I have always loved England, I mean who doesn't? They make lots of different foods across the pond, but the one that comes to might right away is the classic fish and chips.  Fish and chips are so popular, it is even a common bar food in the states. I have mentioned that my biggest goal as a vegetarian is to re-create meat dishes. I have also mentioned that I have never found a decent vegetarian fish substitute. I guess that meant it was time to get creative.

073

What you need:

061

1 package of tofu
2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste

As you can see, I strayed away from the traditional battered and fried fish, and opted to go more towards a lemony and baked fish. This meal is already non-traditional using tofu, so I thought it was OK to bend the rules a bit.

What to do:
Drain and slice the tofu, then press for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine Old Bay, garlic, salt if desired, and pepper in a small bowl.

063

Coat all pieces of tofu with the spice mixture, and lay out on a baking sheet.
Drizzle the tofu with the lemon juice.

064

Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, flipping the tofu halfway through.
Serve hot, with a side of french fries.

066

068

076

Of course, I had to enjoy this meal in true British style, with some vinegar on my chips!

078

The tofu had a firm, but flaky texture, and being naturally mild, it definitely let the flavors in the Old Bay shine. There was a nice bite from the garlic, a tang from the lemon, and saltiness just as you would expect fish to have. The tofu itself wasn't very fishy, but incorporated the flavors normally eaten with seafood. It was fun trying out something new, and nice to make a tofu dish inspired by foods from a different country.

Have you tried to make your own version of fish and chips?

Bye from the Veggie Side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment! I appreciate everything you guys have to say, so go on and comment, I don't bite!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...